Join the Mailing List
Enter your name and email address below:
Name:
Email:
Subscribe  Unsubscribe 
Free Mailing Lists from Bravenet.com

The despatch box

We're you thinking what the Conservatives were thinking? Did you believe the Lib Dems were the real alternative? Is Labour moving forward not back? This blog will focus on all things political. It will be irritating, agitating and maybe just maybe it will get you thinking.

Saturday, November 05, 2005

The clash of two titans

Well actually it was just myself and Roger Helmer MEP each championing our own leadership contender at a Conservative meeting in Lincoln.

What was extremely pleasing was there was more agreement than differences between us and I stressed that whoever wins on December 6th needs the full support of everyone in the party so that the fight can be taken to the Labour party.

Roger backed Cameron as he suggested that he had the image that would allow us to win back those voters who had deserted us in the past.

My perspective was that it is actually policies that attract people - which is why I have backed Davis from day one.

Roger also focussed on the stance taken by Cameron with regards the EPP - which is understandably is an issue of immense concern for him.

My worry still persists that our leader is going to be chosen on the back of perceived image rather than substantial policy. Roger argued that image was hugely important - but I made the analogy that a football team can change its manager and expect better results - but what you really need is new players.

For me, the way to win back those who left us - is by setting out clear policies that appeal to people.



One comment summed up the situation so far:-

"Jonathan - I agreed with everything you said - but Im not sure Im going to vote for Davis... yet".

A month to go - and more healthy debates to be had within the party.

3 Comments:

  • At Saturday, November 05, 2005 10:13:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was there! It seemed Roger had a personal interest but was he up to date on Davis referendums? This would surely see no further need for EPP? If history is the decider Davis gets the job done and I still think the presentation of policies means more than presentation of personalities.

     
  • At Saturday, November 05, 2005 10:14:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was there! It seemed Roger had a personal interest but was he up to date on Davis referendums? This would surely see no further need for EPP? If history is the decider Davis gets the job done and I still think the presentation of policies means more than presentation of personalities.

     
  • At Saturday, November 05, 2005 10:16:00 pm, Blogger Jonathan Sheppard said…

    Well I hope I came across OK - I wasnt sure whether people had made their minds up already or were still prepared to be persuaded.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Top of the British Blogs Call me!